Welcome To Class 4!
Class 4 is taught by Mrs Cryer. We are extremely lucky to be joined by Mrs Reid and Miss Mulligan throughout the week. Class 4 is made up of children from both Year 4 and Year 5.
What Will We Be Learning?
Topic - Our History focus this term is The Maya! The Maya are regarded as Mesoamerica's greatest society. In this unit pupils will learn about the remarkable achievements of the ancient Maya. Through these activities pupils will learn about the Maya perspective of time, the calendar system, writing, maths and the environment. In doing so they should see the stark contrast between their own history and that of the Maya. Our history focus will inspire our work across the curriculum, from art to music to PE.
English - Our class novel this term is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. We will be exploring this text during our Reading lessons, alongside a range of other shorter texts. We will be using the book The Great Chocoplot to inspire us in our writing lessons.
Maths - This half term, we will be exploring place value and number, addition and subtraction, multiplication and division. We will be continuing to develop our times tables knowledge every week by using TT Rockstars. We will also do Rapid Recall Facts twice a week to help us develop our maths fluency skills.
Science - Over the Autumn Term we will be studying materials. We will be investigating states of matter and changing states.
PE - Class 4 do PE every Monday and Tuesday. Children do not need to bring in a PE kit this term. Instead, children need to come to school in their PE kit and wear it all day, ready for the lesson. This half term we will be doing dance and games. Please could children not wear ear rings on PE days.
Things You Need To Know:
- What To Bring: children should bring their book bags with their reading book and planner, a water bottle and waterproof coat with them every day. Please could long hair be tied up.
- Spellings: Class 4 will do a spelling test every Friday. A list of each week’s spellings has been emailed to parents, uploaded on the Class 4 page, and stuck into children’s Brainbuilder books.
- Brainbuilders: children will bring their Brainbuilder books home with them at the start of each half term. There will be a menu of Brainbuilder tasks for the children to choose from and complete each week. These tasks can be completed in their Brainbuilder books and/or emailed to Mrs Cryer using the Class 4 email address. Please do not bring Brainbuilder books in every week. Instead, please return them to Mrs Cryer during the final week of half term.
- Reading Books: Class 4 will continue to use the Accelerated Reader Scheme. This term we will return to children taking the same book home daily. Children will then do a quiz as normal before picking a new reading book.
- Online Sites: Class 4 have online access to TT Rockstars. TT Rockstars is a website that helps us develop our times tables knowledge. There are opportunities to practice independently and compete against our friends.
We hope that the above information is useful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to get in touch via the office or the Class 4 email.
Class 4 are a fabulous group of children and we are very excited for the year to come!